Thursday, February 28, 2013

Communication Error

Communication :

(Noun) The imparting or exchanging information or news.

To me communication is the most powerful tool we have. Nothing works without it. It is the key element to everything. Relationships rely heavily on communication and without it, they fail. As individuals, we get caught up in our own situations and what’s going with ME, that we forget to communicate. We start thinking that people, especially the ones we know well, should just get it! This lands us in a dangerous trap I like to call the “Mind Reader” mentality. It’s been a one-sided joke that women think men are mind readers. To be honest, we men think women are mind readers as well. On several occasions I’ve been guilty of thinking that my wife should “just know” how to be or what to do or what I meant! This is very false. No matter how well someone knows you, they’ll never be able to read your mind. People may have great insight as to how you may like certain things, but it’s never a definite that anyone at any time knows exactly what’s going on in your head.

Matthew 7

7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: 8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

To get what we want, we need to ask. Nowhere in the Bible does it say anything about things being given to people who only think. Communication is an action word. It’s something that requires work. Of course you’re not always going to have the zeal or energy to constantly explain things to people but it’s definitely worth doing. It’s been my own experience and criticism that I give people too much credit. There’s something in my head that makes me think that people should automatically know how to be. I guess it comes from when I was kid and how my parents always held me accountable and how, as an adult, I always hold myself accountable for my actions. But everyone wasn’t raised in my household so how can I assume they’re going to share the same beliefs or follow the same path? Not only is it a self-centered action, it’s also unfair to whom you do it. God knew things like this would happen. That’s why he told us in His word to ask, seek, and knock. Nothing is given freely except salvation, and even with that, you’ve got to make the first move.

Communicating isn’t easy. A lot of “stuff” comes with it. And when you’re not used to being communicative, it’s a long hard road to travel to get to that place where it comes naturally. But like I said before, it’s worth it.

-SP

No comments:

Post a Comment